Thursday 17 September 2015

Just One Of The Cool Kids

At some point, my kids are going to realize that I am so uncool.

One day, both kids are going to wake up, come down stairs, and see pops on the couch playing video games in his underpants with a half drank cup of coffee on the table. I will flash my most winning dad smile and invite them to play Mario Kart with me. They will sigh, and politely decline. One will go for a bike ride. The other will read and pretend to not hear me call Bowser a bitch for shooting a blue turtle shell at me.

They will one day find out that dear old dad played Dungeons and Dragons pretty regularly, and that despite not subbing for years, still has a healthy love for World of Warcraft.

They will groan mightily when I wake them both up early to go to Free Comic Book Day with me.

They will sigh when I talk to them about how this year, it will be the Knicks turn to win a championship, despite winning only 10 games the previous season.

They will roll their eyes when I gently correct them that the grey Hulk was much weaker, but more cunning than the first green Hulk.

They will plug their ears up to the third knuckle when I decide it's time to listen to Iron Maiden on the way to school.

They will tolerate watching Star Wars, yet again, because dammit, these are how movies were supposed to be made. Practical effects. Not your fancy green screens.

Despite all this, they will know that their daddy loves them more than anything.

They might not like the same things I do. They might hide me from their friends when they come over to hang out, but they will know that being themselves is one of the most important things in the world for them to be.

Whatever they do, whereever they go, whatever make their hearts sing and makes their blood boil, if they love it and are passionate about it, then that's what they should love and hold on to.

Just as long as they make some time for Dad and some Mario Kart every now and then.


No comments:

Post a Comment