Thursday 15 October 2015

Baseball Memories



That happened, and it opened the floodgates of reminiscing about my baseball past.

Once the cold winds of April blew themselves out, and that last gasp of snowfall melted, all thoughts turned to baseball. 

Where I grew up, we didn't have a soccer league to play in during summer and from May to late July, we ruled the baseball diamonds. It was a gathering place, a social event. Parents would meet and visit whilst us kids played ball starting with Mosquito all the way up to PeeWee.

I have many vivid memories of playing summer ball; My first game, where I earned the nickname 'Boomer.' Being part of many provincial teams and travelling the province. Our second baseman, Clay, always relaying messages to me from the coach because I couldn't hear all that well. One of our pitchers, Eric, throwing a perfect game. The last game with the only coach I had known at that point and feeling so disappointed we didn't win one for the Gipper. The odd way I would hold my bat: flat across my shoulders, hiding my face from the pitcher. The last season I played where we one the league championship.

I still smell the grass sometimes, and feel the shale under my cleats. I hear the snap of the baseball hitting my glove and the sharp ping of the aluminum bat when it struck the ball.

I mostly remember the teams we had, and the fun that we all had together. I never was one of the "cool kids" growing up, but being a part of the teams we had always gave me things in common with  everyone else.

And now, with P-Man growing older, it has occured to me that I really want him to build these kinds of memories too. I really want him to be a part of something that, no matter how well they ever did, he and his team-mates/castmates/group stood up together and faced all obstacles head one and never quit.

I want him to learn teamwork, perseverance, comraderie, and achievement.

And selfishly, I want to drive him to practises, sit in the stands and watch a part of me build the memories he will take with him for the rest of his life.

For now, GO JAYS. My butt is firmly planted on the bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment