Monday 26 September 2016

Diving Board

As promised, if you haven't seen it, my post about how proud I am that my little boy took a big leap:

Today is the City of Edmonton's Free Admission Day. While the girls went shopping, Parker and I decided to go to the Meadows to swim.
After a while, Parker expressed interest in going on the diving board, but in order to do so, he had to pass a swim test.
I was skeptical that he would be able to pass it, as you have to swim the length of the pool on your stomach without stopping. Parker is comfortable in water, but he's never attempted something to this effect before. After grabbing a life jacket, and talking to the lifeguard, Parker hopped in the pool and began his trek to the other end.
He passed, no problem! In fact, halfway through the test, I think he got bored and decided that waving to people, pretending he was a shark, and blowing bubbles in the water was more interesting. Next came the diving board.
Parker nervously stepped to the edge of the board as I waited in the water below. I promised that I would catch him as he leapt, but maybe it was too much at once. I mean, at four, that height must have seemed stories high to him. He backed off the board, and came to see me at the side of the pool.
"Daddy, maybe I'll jump in from here," he said.
"Sure, buddy!" I said. "Baby steps, right?"
A big splash later, Parker wanted to try the diving board again. I promised that I would go with him and go first so he can see what to do. Off I went, part cannonball, part bellyflop, no style whatsoever, I emerged from the water and waited for Parker's second attempt.
Edging to the board, the fear creeped onto Parker's face.
"Catch me, please!" he shouted.
"I'll be right here," I assured him.
More indecision, more trepidation, more worry. Parker started to back away from the edge again, but realized that all the people in the pool were cheering him on. Bolstered, Parker again stepped to the edge and nervously stared into the water.
"OK, Daddy, 1-2-3!" he shouted, and flew out as far as he could.
The smile on his face as he popped out of the water was from ear to ear. He did the diving board 3 more times after that, and every time he stepped to the edge, he would whisper to himself, "1-2-3 jump" and every time he would jump.
I sometimes worry that Parker needs to work on his confidence. He complains that he doesn't know how to do things, that he's scared, that he doesn't want to get hurt, or try. Well, today, I think that occasionally taking a flying leap into the unknown will work out, and might even be a little bit fun.
Proud daddy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment